Tuesday, January 22, 2013

We made it!!!


The greatest thing about being sick my first day in the USA, I actually have time to get out an update...HA....that's what I thought when I BEGAN to write this on Saturday, needless to say it's Tuesday and i'm finally getting this out. 

If you are up to speed on facebook, you saw we had a bit of an interesting flying day on Friday, if you are not up to facebook speed (which I'm not so don't worry), we had an interesting day.

Since Will and I got married, well actually before that, my flying adventures have always been, well adventures. And Friday unfortunately followed that path. 

Mayla woke up early around 6:20, and I knew instantly it was going to be an interesting morning. We packed the cars (thank you Piotr and Pam) and made our way to the airport, United counter (at check in one) was wide open and we made our way instantly to the counter. Due to a new system it took them forever to get us going, but before we knew it we were handed our boarding passes and on our way. We found some seats at Starbucks for a last hang out time with some dear friends (Pam, Kathryn, Piotr, Ewa, Noemi, and Martin thank you). The time went by way too fast and before we knew it, we had to head off to our gate. Good byes were hard, but in my head I just kept thinking, 'I'm just leaving for Christmas, what's the big deal'. I wonder when it will hit me that i'm not just 'home for the holidays?' 

Good bye tears dried as we made our way to airport security. That is a bit trickier with a 'baby on board' than when it was just the two of us, but thankfully we had some nice airport security staff who let me keep my shoes on (not the case in America) and we managed to get through without too many setbacks. Mayla just kept taking in the sights around her and was a champ. 

We made our way to the very familiar E gate and on the tram ride I was trying to tell myself this was it, we were leaving, but my brain just kept telling me, 'yeah for home for Christmas time'.  Mayla fell asleep in the stroller and I was glad as it had already been a long morning for her and she was going on being awake for over 3 hours, which in Mayla hours is a LONG time! We boarded the plane and thankfully she stayed sleeping in my arms as I sat in my seat, (bulk head seating praise The Lord).  We got our things organized and as I was trying to get buckled in, she woke up, I knew this was NOT going to be a good thing. We had planned her feedings in the morning so that she would be hungry about the time we took off, and as the pilot announced early that boarding was almost complete and he thought we could be on our way early, I was getting excited that our 'planned' morning was going to work out. 

Well that Pilot man is NOT my friend. It was our 'original' time to take off and we were still sitting at our gate. I quick asked the flight attendant if i had time to change my daughter and she said yes, well thankfully we went fast cuz as i was changing her they announced we were leaving, and then I hear a bang on the bathroom door and within seconds a flight attendant was opening the door on us, I'm just glad I was not in the middle of anything. Shortly after that, we backed out and then sat, and sat, and sat and sat. We were trying to see if we were de-icing, or what the deal was, but could see nothing.  We were also focused on holding off a fussy girl who was starting to get hungry and who was also realizing she didn't take a long enough nap and a girl who had just dirtied her pants more than her pampers could handle. Attempting to hold her off ended when the pilot came on and announced that something was wrong with the air-conditioner and we needed to go back to the gate. So much for leaving early and so much for feeding during take off. The bonus of going back to the gate? Getting up and changing our poopy pants Mayla who by now had it coming up her back and through the clothes. We were off to a great start; let the adventures begin.

'What daddy, plane is boken?'
The mechanics came on the plane and we were informed they might not be able to fix the problem, but that was okay as it was 'not necessary' but it would require us to take a longer route. Another 15 minutes passed and we were informed the mechanics fixed the plane and after paper work was complete we could get on our way. We pushed back from the gate, taxied out to the runway and there we sat again. Mayla had only had half a feed earlier and was starving. After minutes of screaming, we realized we could not hold her off until we were taking off and once again missed the opportunity to feed her during take off and I was nervous. She thankfully fell asleep while eating and I was able to get the nuggi in and she started to suck, thank you Jesus for the answered prayer. Total sitting time on the airplane before we departed was 3 hours, add that to a 9 hour flight and it makes for a VERY bad start. We were just starting the day and Will and I were already exhausted, and baby Mayla too! 


Unfortunately I had to move Mayla because of the position she was in and it resulted in her waking up, bad move that I regretted. She just cried and cried. I tried getting her back to sleep but she was NOT happy and not enjoying the many ways I was trying. Thankfully the fasten seat belt sign came off and I was able to stand which finally calmed her....she was just asleep and to my great luck, a little turbulence forced the pilot to turn back on the fasten seat belt sign. Mayla noticed the change in 'height' and was not happy to be sitting and once again the crying came as she awoke. I felt so bad for her as she was overly tired and nothing was working in her favor. After a short feed, she FINALLY fell back to sleep and I didn't move a muscle in fear of waking her up. I took a deep breathe and looked forward to a nice 2 to 3 hour nap with my daughter on my lap....NOPE...Mayla had other plans, and after 25 minutes she decided that was long enough and wanted to once again send us to the bathroom to change her whole outfit. I think she just liked the lights in the bathroom, outfit number 1, and 2 now gone and we were onto the third. The third one only made it 15 minutes before she spit up all over it. By now we had the seat next to us looking like a closet and just pulled out whatever was needed! 

Finally relaxed on the floor of the plane..
We were sitting in the bassinet seats, and I did try putting her in it, but she was not digging it and we ended up using it as a 'storage' center for the flight. Mayla was once again getting super fussy so I laid her on some blankets on the floor in front of us, and after 20 minutes, she finally fell asleep, a sigh of relief came over me that was abruptly put to an end when the flight attendant came by and told us our girl could not be on the floor. I wanted to cry as I knew moving her would wake her up, and sure enough, tears and screams followed as I picked her up from her comfy vibrating floor spot.  I had only one option left at this time and it was the Moby wrap. I put her in it, and started my laps through the plane, and thankfully within minutes she was back asleep and resting close to me. We were both in need of a good nap! Two hours of deep sleep was what our little girl needed and that was the end of the crying and fussing for the remainder of the travel day. It was a super challenge for all 3 of us, and some times I wonder why those moments have to come, as if we hadn't been through enough stress and trauma with packing, leaving, and sitting on the airplane for 3 extra hours. But it was those moments that brought me to my knees to surrender to The Lord. He was once again showing me that I can plan all I want to, but in the end His plan will prevail. He was also teaching us about selfishness, a common theme that continues to come up in our family. To put away our needs/wants/desires and do what Mayla needs at the moment. Some times it's hard and requires extra energy on our end, but it also helps us see how we should be in life. When others are in need around us, what is our priority? Will we take the time to help, will we even notice the needs of others or are we too focused on ourselves to see the world around us. 

Our plane went super fast, but not fast enough to get us to Newark, New Jersey in time to make our connection. We went through security, got Mayla's passport stamped (her second one, YIPEE) collected our luggage, got new luggage tags, and new boarding passes for a later flight (I'm so thankful they had room on the later flight, cuz by this time we just wanted to be home). After all that we grabbed some food, found our gate and discovered our flight was delayed 45 minutes, Will and I were just laughing at this point. Nothing could be done but to just endure, so all three of us took turns taking a little nap and dreamed of landing in Grand Rapids. 

After boarding the plane around 7:00 pm, Mayla shared some smiles with her new friends around her and discovered the airport lights out the window, we finally took off. And it actually worked for one flight to feed her while taking off, and within minutes she was asleep, and shortly behind her were mom and dad. We landed in Grand Rapids, saw our family waving franticly through the  airport windows (yes it's a small airport), looked at each other and said, 'are we ready for this?' We grabbed our luggage, and made our way out of the gate. When we rounded the corner they saw us and the yelling and cheering began. I had perma-grin as we were welcomed with such love and open arms by all. The embraces felt great, and I was so overwhelmed (and exhausted) that even when I look back on pictures my sister took (thanks sissy, they are great) I don't remember some of those moments. Mayla's expression at first was awesome. She had NO idea what to think and was overstimulated within minutes, she was such a trooper though and just went from hands to hands and took it. I wonder at what point she thought, 'guys this is nuts, it's 3:00 in the morning on my clock, can we just stop already and go to bed?'











Mayla did get to go to bed, at 11:30pm, and slept till 4:30am. Oh the joys of jet lag...with an infant. The good news is daddy was wide awake too (wonder where Mayla gets it from) and took her so her sick mommy could sleep a bit more. Auntie Kelli came to join the morning fun and when Mayla went back for a nap, we all went back for a nap.

Our first day in the USA was already different than any other time we have come to visit, we didn't go anywhere or do anything and even stayed in our pj's most of the day. It was needed and so enjoyed! 

Another update is in the works and coming soon, so get ready!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! What a trip! That's one you won't forget soon, great to have you all back safe, God bless you as you begin life in America again.

    Dave Ryskamp

    ReplyDelete